Are you thinking of ways to secure your home from intruders and burglars? Choosing the best entry door handlesets not only levels up your home’s security but also adds more character to your door.
More often than not, burglars target the front door when trying to enter a house illicitly. If it only has a basic locking mechanism, it would be quick and easy for them to succeed.
These do come in a variety of designs and locking mechanisms, so choosing one can be quite challenging. For that, we’ve decided to check out what the most reliable brands offer, and narrowed down the options to the best of the best.
Pay close attention to each model’s locking feature.
What's in this Guide?
- A Quick Comparison of our Top Picks 8 Front Door Handlesets 2021
- 8 Best Buy Entry Door Handleset Reviews
- 1. Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Handleset
- 2. Schlage FE285 622 LAT CEN Lower Half Handleset
- 3. Berlin Modisch HandleSet
- 4. Baldwin Spyglass Single-Cylinder Front Door Handleset
- 5. TMC Front Double Door Handleset With Lever Handle
- 6. AmazonBasics Handleset With Shelby Lever
- 7. Dynasty Hardware DEN-HER-100-12PL Denver Front Door Handleset
- 8. Double Door Keyed Entry Handleset By NB_Hardware
- Things to Consider Before Buying the Front Door Handleset
A Quick Comparison of our Top Picks 8 Front Door Handlesets 2021
8 Best Buy Entry Door Handleset Reviews
The eight highly dependable door handlesets we will look at below are from trusted brands in the door hardware industry. Each model is a crowd favorite that we’re confident you will like having on your front door.
Let’s take a look at what each of them offers so that you can decide which matches your needs and preferences the most.
1. Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Handleset
The Kwikset 98180-002 San Clemente Handleset showcases a fantastic design that is ideal for modern and traditional entry doors. The primary material is nickel, which boasts a smooth and elegant finish.
- Aesthetically appealing, smooth satin nickel finish
- Low-profile deadbolt design
- Fully reversible Halifax interior level
- Adjustable through-bolt that slides horizontally and vertically
- Integrated with SmartKey Security locking system
Judging from its name, you can see that this comes in a complete set. At first glance, you will immediately notice the low-profile design of the deadbolt. Along with the lock, you will also get a matching handleset with interior level.
Installing this handleset is a breeze, too. You will love that it accommodates both right- and left-handed doors. What’s more, the adjustable through-bolt allows you to install it with any existing door. All you’ll need is a screwdriver, and you’d be done in just a couple of minutes.
If you have a door that is between 1 3/8 inches and 1 ¾ inch thick, you can use this set to give it a quick upgrade. It is compatible with Kwikset KW1 Keyway.
Another impressive feature is the SmartKey Security. This advanced locking system prevents entry done via lock picking, drilling, and bumping. This is a Kwikset favorite that is on most of its hardware.
Is it durable?
This set is rated with an ANSI Grade 1 rating, which means it passed quality standards and was proven extremely sturdy and impact-resistant. You’d be glad to know that the product is covered with a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty, too.
- Resistant to bumping, picking, and drilling
- Also available in iron black and Venetian bronze finish
- Installs in three easy steps
- Heavy-duty construction
- Screws are off a centimetre
2. Schlage FE285 622 LAT CEN Lower Half Handleset
It is easy to see why many households love the Schlage FE285 622. One reason is how durably built it is. It boasts an excellent weatherproof material that can withstand any weather condition.
- Modern design handleset with matte black finish
- Compatible with any door orientation (right- or left-handed access)
- Premium zinc weatherproof material
- Adjustable, patented through-bolt slides
- Grade 2 security rating
This handleset comes in a black matte finish, making it suitable for modern houses and even commercial spaces. Installing it is easy, as you’d only need a screwdriver—no drilling necessary.
You’d appreciate that it has an adjustable through-bolt that slides up and down. You can use this to your advantage without the need to patch or re-drill your door afterward.
When it comes to security, you can rely on this handleset, too. It boasts a Grade 2 security rating under its name, which proves that it can secure your house from lock picking and forced entry by burglars.
For an even higher level of security, you can pair this handleset with a Schlage electronic keypad deadbolt. Your purchase is protected, too, as this comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Like most other options on this list, it works on doors with either left- or right-handed access. Doors with thicknesses between 1 5/8 and 1 ¾ are compatible with this handleset, too.
- Easy installation process, requires only one tool with no drilling
- No need to re-drill the door
- Protected against lock picking and unwanted intrusions
- Can be paired with Schlage electronic keypad deadbolt (sold separately)
- Product has a limited lifetime warranty
- Does not come with a lock
3. Berlin Modisch HandleSet
The Berlin Modisch HandleSet Front Door Entry Handle, with its modern look, fits residential and commercial spaces alike.
- Includes entry doorknob and a deadbolt
- Contemporary look
- Fully reversible door handle
- Low profile square shape
- Adjustable backset latch and square corner striker
Both the entry doorknob and the deadbolt boast heavy-duty construction. As such, forced entry by burglars and intruders would be next to impossible.
What we noticed, though, is that the installation would need some prepping. However, you can do it easily if you have some DIY experience. You would need to chisel the section of the door to accommodate the lock housing.
This handleset fits interior and exterior doors. Included in the packaging is a reversible handle that is suitable for any door access. On top of that, it is a perfect match for doors with 1 3/8 to 1 ¾ thickness.
- Also comes in other finishes
- Ideal for interior and exterior door applications
- suitable for right-handed and left-handed doors
- Fits on doors with 1 3/8 inches and 1 ¾ inches thickness
- Looks lower quality than those from name brands
- Poor customer service
4. Baldwin Spyglass Single-Cylinder Front Door Handleset
The Baldwin Spyglass Single-Cylinder Front Door Handleset is a complete low-profile handleset that is perfect for modern entry doors.
- Includes two keys
- Contemporary design
- Satin nickel finish
- SmartKey security technology
What makes this a favorite?
Easily upgrade your entry door with this affordable yet luxurious handleset from Baldwin. It already comes with an entry door handle and a deadbolt, making sure your house is secured and stylish at the same time.
Also included in the packaging are an instruction manual and the essentials needed for the installation. For the best results, we suggest reading the manual carefully first. Then, follow the installation process strictly.
Why buy this handleset?
You would be impressed with the materials used in this handleset. We are particularly in love with the smooth nickel finish. Baldwin even offers a finish and mechanical warranty on it that spans a lifetime, which just shows how confident it is with the quality of its products.
You’d love the smooth nickel finish, but it is also available in matte black and Venetian bronze. The superior quality and luxurious feel of the hardware is an indication that it will last for many years.
This handleset is recommended for doors with 1 3/8 inches to 1 ¾ inches thickness.
The best feature of this set is the SmartKey, allowing you to re-key the lock in just three seconds. With everything it comes with, you’re sure that you’re getting the most out of your money.
- Offers maximum security
- Covered by a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty
- Easy to install and re-key
- Available in different finishes
- Has a swivel keyhole cover
- Remarkable customer service
- No option to remove deadbolt plate cover
5. TMC Front Double Door Handleset With Lever Handle
The TMC Front Double Door Handleset is among the highest-rated options on the market today because of its durability. Moreover, because it comes in a complete set, you’re sure you are getting more than your money’s worth.
- Includes four handles, one keyed entry door handle, and a dummy handle
- Complete with installation parts and screws
- Lifetime mechanical warranty
- Universal design suitable for any home
- Reversible door handle for any door orientation
- Fit most doors with 1 3/8 inches to 1 ¾ inches thickness
The primary material used in the construction of this handleset is zinc alloy. Combine that with a bronze finish, and you get door hardware that is worth the money.
For a risk-free purchase, you will be thrilled to know that it comes with a lifetime mechanical warranty. With this, you can be sure of a full refund for any mechanical malfunction that may happen.
How easy is it to install this handleset?
Every purchase of this handleset already includes all the parts needed for installation. All you have to make sure of is that your door is of standard size. You will find two latch sets and backsets, and these fit doors measuring 1 3/8 to 1 ¾ inch thick.
Perhaps its most significant selling point, though, is the KW3 Keyway keys. This Kwikset technology lets you set the included keys to be the same ones as your existing keys. Many also like that the cylinder is detachable.
- Fits both right-handed and left-handed doors
- Elegant and luxurious look
- Good value for money
- Great after-sales support
- A bit flimsy and lightweight
6. AmazonBasics Handleset With Shelby Lever
The AmazonBasics Handleset with Shelby Lever is a complete all-in-one set that can quickly elevate the look of your entry door. The hardware, including the installation parts, are already included in the purchase.
- Grade 3 single-cylinder security lock
- Adjustable latch for thicker doors with 2 3/8 to 2 ¾ inches backset
- 6-way adjustable latch
- Comes with an interior handle, exterior handle, and keyed entry
- Multiple finishes to choose from
This handleset is compatible with standard-sized doors and comes with an adjustable latch to fit different backset sizes.
To address different households’ varying needs and preferences, this handleset is designed for both left- and right-handed doors. You can use it on interior or exterior doors, and as such, can be installed on entry doors, bedrooms, and areas that need secure handlesets.
Is the handleset durable enough to keep your home secure?
The set includes a single-cylinder deadbolt lock with a Grade 3 security rating. With this, you can feel safe that unwanted intrusions and burglaries are prevented.
Will you buy it?
Looking at its excellent security features, it’s easy to see that this handelset is indeed a wise buy. It will effectively protect your house against intruders, thanks to the handle’s durable build and the Grade 3 security protection that the single-cylinder deadbolt lock offers.
- Fast installation with the use of Philips head screwdriver
- Can fit standard sized doors
- Suitable for entry door, back door, and other entrances
- Ideal for interior and exterior door applications
- Available in three different finishes
- Not as high-quality as other options
7. Dynasty Hardware DEN-HER-100-12PL Denver Front Door Handleset
Next on the list is the Denver Front Door Handleset from Dynasty Hardware. Featuring an aged oil bronze finish, this is perfect for both residential and commercial use.
- Adjustable backset
- Requires C-type keyway
- ANSI Grade 3 security rating
Are you tired of the same old door handle installed on your door? Give it a quick makeover using this handleset from Dynasty Hardware. The luxurious feel and the durable construction of this door hardware ensure that you get the best value for your money.
Can it improve the level of security of a house?
Certainly. Dynasty Hardware is a trusted brand, and this handleset boasts an ANSI Grade 3 security rating, crafted to secure the house against unwanted intrusions.
How about the installation?
The Dynasty Hardware Denver Handleset has easy installation requirements. It has Schlage C-keyway and an adjustable backset that will allow you to install it with any door size without difficulty.
Is it worth your money?
The product has a comprehensive mechanical warranty of up to 10 years of coverage from the date of purchase—a good deal for any paying customer aiming to save money. The handleset is also made of durable materials, so you’re sure that it will last for years.
- For residential and commercial spaces
- Accommodate doors with thicker panels measuring 2 3/8 inches to 2 ¾ inches
- Works best for doors with right-handed access
- With 10-year factory warranty coverage
- Weak latch mechanism
8. Double Door Keyed Entry Handleset By NB_Hardware
Upon initial glimpse, you will see that the Double Door Keyed Entry Handleset by NB is quite impressive. It’s made of heavy-duty materials and came in one piece, ensuring it will withstand the test of time.
- Includes double door handles, deadbolt keyed handle, and a dummy handle
- Brass and zinc alloy construction
- Oil-rubbed bronze finish
- Reversible interior lever door handle
- Adjustable latch set and square corner striker
- Exterior KW1 keyway
Among the many impressive features of this handleset are its brass and zinc alloy construction, ensuring you get reliable and robust door hardware. The reversible design is quite noteworthy, too, allowing you to use it on either a left- or right-handed door.
Aside from convenience, this handlest also ensures your safety. It already comes with a single-cylinder deadbolt that is opened using the exterior KW1 keyway. This feature also makes it perfect for residential and commercial spaces alike.
As for installation, the product comes with a diagram template that is easy to follow and apply. Anyone with some DIY experience can easily understand this installation guide.
- Durable and aesthetically appealing
- Ideal for modern and contemporary houses
- Comes with four keys
- Perfect for entry doors of houses and offices
- The locking mechanism is a bit tight
Things to Consider Before Buying the Front Door Handleset
Handlesets are sets that come with both a handle and a thumb latch. It is commonly used on exterior entry doors on both commercial spaces and residential properties.
Before you decide which among the entry door handlesets will suit your home, you should first acquaint yourself with the factors you’d need to take into consideration. Any potential buyer needs to have a clear idea of what to look for in an entry door handle to save time and lower the chances of buying something not worthy.
1. Security Level
The first and foremost concern you should think about when choosing a handleset is the security level that it offers. You’d want the one that provides the highest level of security—regardless if it’s for commercial or residential use.
To find the best one, take a look at the ANSI grade level that it has. Those with a rating of Grade 3 are best used only in non-high-security situations. Grade 2 options are recommended for residential use, while Grade 1 should be used on commercial doors.
Still, you will find residential door handlesets with a Grade 1 security level. If you think that that is something that you want for your home, then you can do that, too.
2. Handleset Type
Next, you would want to consider the type of handleset you’re buying. More often than not, this decision would depend on what is convenient for you and the members of your household. Here are the most common options:
They are known as grip handleset and usually built with grip on both sides of the door, interior, and exterior.
This type of door handleset had two locking features, the deadbolt and lever latch. With the two-point lock, the door is opened in one direction, making it a quick escape route in the event of an emergency.
Mortise Lock Handleset
This type of door handleset is relatively different from the standard lock handleset. It has a big plate, which appears like a box. The mortise handleset requires an expert’s help to install it correctly.
Lastly, modern lock handlesets have keyless feature. They can be locked and unlocked without the use of keys.
3. Trim and Finish
When it comes to how the handleset looks, you will find a lot of options available on the market. The key thing to take into consideration is whether or not it will look good on your door. Of course, it should match with your existing hardware, as well, so that it doesn’t stand out awkwardly.
For trim, there are handlesets designed for either traditional or contemporary homes. They come in a variety of finishes, too, so it’s up to you to decide which combination would look great on your entry door.
4. Installation Requirements
Aside from how it looks, the level of convenience it offers, and the security you’d get from it, you also have to think about whether or not the handleset would fit your door.
The distance from the edge of the door to the targeted spot (the center of the bore hole) is called the backset. Most residential doors have a backset that’s either 2 3/8 or 2 ¾ inches. Make sure that the handelset and your door have this measurement.
The construction of door thickness may vary. The standard door is usually between 1 3/8 inches and 1 ¾ inches thickness. For entry doors, the thickness range could be thicker. See to it that the handle you will buy is a perfect match on your door’s thickness.
Choose a door handleset that matches the orientation of your door. To be sure, you can also invest in one that can be installed on either a left- or right-handed door.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a handleset?
As briefly mentioned earlier, a handleset is a combination of a thumb-latch and a door handle. It is usually paired with a deadbolt to ensure the highest level of security. The interior counterpart is often a thumb-turn lock and a knob.
2. How does a deadbolt lock operate?
A deadbolt operates with the use of a mechanical key. It serves as the additional security feature of the entry door handle.
3. What is the difference between interior and exterior lock?
The exterior lock has sturdier construction than the interior lock, so it can withstand forceful kicking. An interior lock is best used on a bedroom or bathroom door.
4. Should I get a box strike?
It depends on the level of security you want for your home. If your goal is to secure the home against intruders, you’d be better off investing in a box strike. It’s a lot tougher and resilient when compared to the strike plate.
5. What is the ideal door dimension for a door handleset?
Most handlesets cater to doors that are 1 3/8 inches to 1 ¾ inch thick. Measure your door’s dimension first before buying a door handleset so that you can be sure that it will fit.
6. How to protect my doors against burglars?
To protect your entry door from intruders, invest in a solid hardware for your doors. The ones we have reviewed above are all from trusted manufacturers, so you can be sure that you’re getting a durable and high-quality product.
The best entry door handleset must not only keep your house safe but also enhance its overall aesthetic appearance.
We hope that the above reviews helped you gain a better understanding of the features you’d want from a door handleset. This is especially true with regards to the locking system, which should be strong enough to safeguard the house against potential threats of burglary or unwanted intrusion.
Give yourself some time to browse each one’s highlighted features and weigh which among them complies with functionality and quality. Lastly, consider your needs and preferences, too.